Reporting to: Project Manager
Contract Type: Permanent, Full Time
Location: Dublin, Dun Laoghaire
Rockall is seeking a Software Development Engineer to work within a Services Engineering group helping with the ongoing delivery of functionality within highly scalable, multi-tier, Java EE software products for both on-premise and Cloud deployments. You will join a team providing development services to customers who are Live with our software.
- You are a respected team member who can come into an existing team, working in a collaborative environment delivering UI and backend Java features.
- You have incredible attention to detail and ability to dive deep, find and accurately describe subtle defects.
- You work smoothly with your teammates and speak up where you see how we can raise team standards.
- You ask the right questions up front and take personal responsibility for what you commit to do, owning it to completion.
- You keep yourself on top of trends and are relentlessly curious about new techniques and technologies we could adopt.
- Commitment to producing high quality, performant and robust software
- Troubleshooting Development and Production problems across multiple environments and operating platforms as necessary
- Delivery of quality software fixes within deadlines
- Contribution to continual improvement of existing software development processes
- Design, development and testing of new product features
- Keep up to date with new technologies and software products through research, training and professional networking
Key Qualities and Experience Sought
- A degree in Computer Science (or other relevant Science or Engineering discipline) combined with 2+ years professional experience
- Development experience with Java JEE (2+ years) on Enterprise-level systems
- Knowledge of relational databases
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to show flexibility and reach compromise where appropriate
- Familiar with web application development using a framework such as Struts
- Familiar with Design Patterns
- Familiar with best practice and industry standards e.g. unit-testing, test-driven development, peer review, automation and CI etc.
- Enthusiasm for the role and commitment to achieve objectives /meet deadlines
- Keen interest in learning new technologies and undertaking new challenges
- Excellent verbal and written communications and an ability to work constructively in a shared team environment
- A high standard of English
- Eligible to work in Ireland
Other Skills and Technologies of Interest:
- Familiarity and experience with Agile methodologies (Scrum)
- Experience with Ant or Maven
- SVN, Github
- SQL and PL/SQL
- Jasper Reports
- Tomcat, WebSphere, WebLogic
- IntelliJ (or equivalent)
- Selenium or equivalent
- Spring MVC
Our offer to you
- A competitive salary, reviewed annually
- A personal budget to use for health care, pension and/or take with salary
- Travel-to-work subsidies, including travel pass or parking permit or a bike allowance
- 24 days holiday plus public holidays
- Individual training grant with the opportunity to grow and develop
- Additional day annually to support a charity or worthy cause
- A fantastic working environment with spectacular sea views
- An active social committee with great events
- Fresh fruit on tap
Rockall is a FinTech company that offers two products: FASTNET – our next-generation cloud-hosted Securities-based Lending (SBL) solution for wealth managers, private banks & broker-dealers, and COLLATE – our Collateral Management solution for enterprise-wide banking across all asset types.
Rockall has 19 years of experience dedicated to Collateral Management and is included as one of the top 100 risk technology companies in the world in the RiskTech100®. We are also a winner of the Deloitte Best Managed Companies Award.
Based in Dublin (Ireland) and with a growing team in Charlotte (North Carolina), we take our business seriously and have a sense of fun. We are looking for like-minded individuals to join us.